Development projects :
ITS research activities encompass both basic and applied research in the field of tropical and subtropical agriculture and sustainable rural development in the tropics and subtropics. ITS cooperates especially with countries and regions selected according to priorities of the Czech Official Development Assistance together with countries where ITS has a long history of mutual relationship: Angola, Jordan, Moldova, Mongolia, Peru, Senegal, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Zambia and Kyrgyzstan are the most important.
Research is financed from government grants and private donors or entrepreneurs’ contributions. New research topics are being introduced with an emphasis on the sustainable development of rural areas in developing countries.
ITS is a coordinating institution and participates in both Czech and international projects (EC, FAO and UNIDO). The projects where ITS is participating are mostly formulated by its research and scientific staff according to the needs of the recipient countries with the assistance of various foreign institutions involved. The project selection targets the most pressing sectors (usually food production and security, and rural development) and the poorest countries or regions.
During 2011 were under the guidance of specialists from ITS realized 10 development projects in 7 countries, from with most countries belong to the preferred countries of Foreign Development Co-operation of the Czech Republic. Realization of the development projects have international and research properties and give practical findings to students and teachers. During 2011 were under the professional guidance of ITS realized following development projects:
1. Increasing of competitiveness and efficiency of Moldova's small and medium farmers with their focus on production with high value added - for selected target groups in areas Ungheni, Anenii Noi, Cahul (Moldova; 2011)
2. Promoting of the quality and scope of advisory services in woreda Angacha, zone Kembo Temboro (Ethiopia; 2011-2012)
3. Support of Agricultural School in Catabola (Angola; 2009-2011)
4. Improving of institutional support for Agricultural School in Catabola (Angola; 2010-2011)
5. Strategic plan to improving of farmers' production (Haiti; 2010-2012)
6. Renewable sources of energy in rural areas of Thua-Thien Hue province (Vietnam; 2011)
7. The system of identification of livestock - delivery (Mongolia; 2010-2011)
8. The system of identification of livestock - data collection (Mongolia; 2010-2012)
9. Support of vocational agricultural education in the Center of training and education in Darkhan (Mongolia; 2011-2012)
10. Delivery of pregnant heifers (Bosnia, 2011-2014)